Sunday, April 5, 2020

Words and Actions



About a year before I retired from the National Guard my First Sergeant grabbed four other guys and myself early one Saturday morning and sent us to the Columbia fair grounds during the South Carolina State Fair to hand out recruiting fliers. It was easy, sham duty that usually went to the young, gung-ho, hotshots who lived and breathed weekend warrior action. I don't remember the other guys, but the only reason the First Sergeant threw me in the bunch was because I was in his line of sight at the right time.

So like good soldiers, we loaded up in our cars, drove downtown, and joined the mass of civilians already doing the rides, eating carnival food, looking at all the craft exhibits, along with general people watching. Since I was quickly approaching retirement and suffering from extreme burnout, handing out the propaganda pamphlets wasn't high on my Saturday priorities. At that time the National Guard was neck deep in deployments to both Afghanistan and Iraq with the recruiting fliers we were handing out still extolling the virtues of one weekend a month, two-weeks in the summer duty. Something no one with any sense would believe since Guard units were already doing year-long overseas deployments only to spend six or seven months home before getting orders to head back out.

As you may be able to imagine most of my time that day was spent eating fried Snickers bars, funnel cake, and other high calorie foods. All the sugary things that help make the Southern states national leaders in death from heart disease and diabetes. Understand, I still handed out the fliers but whenever a gullible civilian I was talking with showed signs of taking the glossy, focus group tested bait; I turned them over to one of the young, motivated hot shots.

Given that none of the fair goers we talked with wanted to seriously pursue the National Guard, I came away surprised at how South Carolinians could be both so hyper-patriotic but instinctively adverse to actually making a commitment to joining. To this day, I debate whether or not that made them smart and me stupid for entering military service. Or that their keen patriotism was just a shallow facade to hide outright cowardice and sloth.

Yes, my cynicism is getting obnoxious even to myself but it's well founded.

You might be surprised to know, even as I walked around carrying a bad attitude I did nothing to embarrass the National Guard, my uniform, or myself. You also need to understand that an attitude correction would hit me that day after I literally turned a corner in one of the fairgrounds buildings showing off various fine crafts.

If I remember correctly that particular building was where they had the displays showing off woodworking projects with the winning items in large glass cases in the center of the largest room. My recruiting group made our way through the various rooms both admiring the woodworking projects and handing out fliers to anyone who took notice of us.

Without really paying attention we entered the last room of the building before the maze-like layout of the displays deposited us back outside. Two boys, around seven or eight years-old, were in our path intently looking at one of the woodworking projects in a large glass case. I don't know if its was our reflections on the glass that caught their attention or maybe the sounds of our voices but my group and I really startled those kids.

They both turned around suddenly with looks of astonishment on their faces and said the word, “Soldiers” with a tone of clear reverence. Being soldiers, at least of the weekend warrior type, we naturally chatted with the kids for a few minutes before heading back outside.

It was a simple and brief encounter but one that reminded me that someone is always watching our actions and listening to our words. Like I wrote earlier, I did nothing that day to shame my uniform but my attitude was especially bad for a whole host of reasons, many justified given the situation at that time. I can't imagine the impression those kids would have come away with had I exposed them to my slow simmering bad attitude.

Fast forward to our current, much worse situation in my opinion, and I find myself seething at the actions of certain individuals in out national leadership and the media sycophants who carry their banner of fear and prejudice. The Orange Buffoon occupying the White House has made a habit of identifying the COVID-19 virus as the “China Virus” in a passive-aggressive manner that does nothing but stoke hate towards anyone of Asian decent.

Now OB, in his fourth-grade way of explaining it, says he uses the China Virus term since it originates from that country. This ignores a century or so of derogatory and outright racist terminology aimed at describing Asians, no matter where they were born or what citizenship they hold. More to the point, OB does this to prop up a bogeyman/scapegoat to cover for his criminal incompetence in the handling of the pandemic.

Enough about OB's usual behaviors that does nothing but lowers the standing of the United States and many Americans to the level of street thugs and illiterate, white trailer trash. What really pissed me off was how nervous my daughter was last week upon returning home from a lone trip to the grocery store.

My daughter is Asian, born in China, and went to the nearby grocery store to buy a few food items for herself. The same trip she she was made possibly hundreds of times since getting her driver's license. The difference this time was the fact that she had numerous people stare at her in a manner they had never done before. My daughter swears no one said anything to her in the grocery store but the stares she was receiving were highly unsettling. Upon hearing this, I instantly said that she wouldn't make another trip to the grocery store alone while the local natives, all middle class white folk, were being stirred up by pandemic hysteria.

Yeah, I blame the Orange Buffoon since he is damn near worshiped in the area and state I live. People I know hang on his every word and believe he literally can do no wrong. All his numerous faults are overlooked and ignored and if anything goes wrong during his management of the country they fallback on the scapegoats he serves up during his dictator-like speeches. So when OB pokes at long held racists tropes his collection of toadies quickly fall into line.

I didn't like George W. Bush as president and still believe many of his actions were at a minimum misguided. But not once during his years in office did I think he ever poked at this countries old prejudices against any ethnic groups. The Orange Buffoon on the other hand stirs up old prejudices and fears at every opportunity. It's like watching a slow motion hate crime on a national scale.

The prompting of these ethnic fears is how atrocities happen in other countries. My skin crawls at the idea that I live around and work with people who are so easily swayed by the Buffoon's words and behaviors because this time, it's on a very personal level.

9 comments:

MRMacrum said...

" It's like watching a slow motion hate crime on a national scale. "

Indeed it is. And BTW, I call him "IQ45"

Hope all is well and hug your daughter for me.

The Armchair Squid said...

So sad to hear your daughter's story. People suck.

He's so awful, the OB. But as rotten as he is, his supporters scare me a lot more. It blows my mind to think this is what people actually want!

Catalyst said...

Well written, BB. I read with horror of Asian Americans being attacked in California. I am confident the same thing could happen in my bright red county and it fills me with dread. November can't come soon enough.

The Bug said...

People are just so stupid. It amazes me that we were ever considered a great nation - we certainly aren't anymore! I hope your daughter remains safe during all of this.

Ten Bears said...

Drumpf uck brought the SARS_CoV2 virus here, he turned it loose, and gave it time to spread. Donald J Drumpf uck, Jenious Tea Pot Dictator, is responsible for every death here to the Trump Pandemic. He brought it here, turned it loose and gave it time to spread. There is no ambiguity, this is The Trump Pandemic, the Trump Virus, the Trump flu.

Jeff said...

I am sorry to hear of your daughter's experiences. I'm with you. There was a lot about Bush I didn't like (such as unnecessary wars), but at least he was quick to shut down any behavior that belittled other groups of people.

Commander Zaius said...

MRMacrum: My daughter is okay, except for the fact she is hesitant to go anywhere now. Which is okay given the current situation since there is really no place to go. Once things return to some sort of normalcy that's when the aftermath of her grocery store trip will hit.

Armchair Squid: Yeah, it's surreal to listen to my coworkers talk about politics, current events, and anything to do with trump. Yeah I'm bias, but they are disconnected from reality.

Catalyst: Here in South Carolina the potential for trump-inspired hate crimes is something all minorities have to be conscious of since he is worshiped here. I've never gotten deep into the history of pre-Nazi Germany but there are a lot of people around me who by their words aren't far from donning brown shirts and going goosestepping.

The Bug: Darth Wiggles, my daughter's blog nickname, is safe and not going anywhere anytime soon.

Ten Bears: Yeah, trump is plague.

Jeff: In this post I actually measured my words greatly because what happened to my daughter just confirms my biases. I say this because I abhor the idea of falling into the same trap as them when it comes to looking at the bad side of people I already have issues with. Like I wrote, my daughter has made numerous trips alone to the local grocery stores and never had any real issue before.

Lord Mark said...

Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

Peter Scofield said...

Hi guys, if you have been a victim of any binary/ cryptocurrency scam, contact easybinarysolutions@gmail.com they're highly recommendable, and were efficient in getting my initially lost 2btc refunded