Monday, March 15, 2021

Nomad Feet: Brookgreen Gardens

My daughter is currently on spring break and needed to get out of the house. So, we hit Brookgreen Gardens down on the the coast near Murrells Inlet, South Carolina. This sculpture is at the entrance of the gardens on Highway 17 and they do not make it easy to photograph. There is a sign at the front saying no parking and no stopping. Which makes sense because traffic is always heavy in that area. My daughter had to scramble around cars to get this shot.  
This is "Narcissus" by Adolph Alexander Weinman 1870-1952

We picked a near perfect day for our road trip. The temperature was around 70 degrees and the humidity was non-existent. The only slight problem was that Spring had only just begun to pop. Not much was in bloom and the staff was still getting things ready for summer. If you go to Brookgreen Gardens during the summer months drink a lot of water!

One of the biggest scams ever perpetrated by Disney films was to portray Zeus here as a loving family man happily married to his wife Hera. In the Disney animated movie Heracles they do just that and it's a laugh riot for anyone with a vague notion of his extramarital proclivities.  

A nice relaxing pathway.

One of the few flowers I saw in bloom. Sorry I don't know the species

I believe this sculpture is of Artemis.

Wise words.

A beautiful setting.

No trip down to the coast would be complete if I didn't stop and visit Pawleys Island. Got to admit, I was disappointed because there wasn't any breeze on the beach.

 

3 comments:

SpacerGuy said...

Hi BB its fitting you've found a beach to expound about. Theres nothing quite like a breath of breezy fresh air when out for a stroll in Brittas Bay where I visit and true to form birds are our friends. I guess those greedy folks wicked ways came back to haunt them so the wise words of the ages speak the truth.

Jeff said...

It has been years since I have been to Brookgreen (I was last there last around 1980 or so). But you're right about the traffic as I have been by it many times and used to, when I had the time, drive from Wilmington to Savannah taking US 17 and it was a nightmare to go from Myrtle Beach to Georgetown.

https://fromarockyhillside.com

The Bug said...

That looks like a lovely day trip! I'm looking forward to taking some of those this spring - just have to get Dr. M on board.

I think the flower MIGHT be a camellia? However, I hardly ever know what I'm talking about.