Sunday, January 3, 2021

After the Ball Dropped

 

Back in January of 2020, there were a lot of people posting stuff on the internet about how that year would be the start of a new decade of hope and understanding. It was troubling and unrealistic display of unbridled optimism and deranged good cheer in the face of numerous warnings that a massive amount of human waste had hit the tabletop air recirculating device and was flying our way.

I wasn't having any part in that internet delusion. On New Year's Day 2020, I posted an essay saying we were already FUBARed and that things were going to get worse. I can't fully describe how much it sucked to be right beyond my worst nightmare. No, I didn't see the pandemic coming, although do I vaguely remember hearing several news stories in December of 2019 about a troubling outbreak of a flu-like illness in China. I remember reading about those stories the same time my ass was living it up on an all inclusive Caribbean cruise.

No, my reoccurring nightmare last January revolved around the Orange Buffoon and the November election. This is where I could also mention how back in November of 2016 I wrote that OB would burn the country down if he lost in 2020, and dammit I was right again. The Orange Buffoon has engaged in an actual coup to overturn what his own people have called the most secure and fair election in recent memory.

Proving that we are in a definite low-point in American history and courage, the vast majority of Republican senators and congresspeople are going along with OB's attempt at wrecking the United States Constitution.

The little good news I can manage in this ongoing clusterfrak is that OB will fail and that President Biden will be a reality at noon on January 20th. The overwhelming bad news that I can't shake is that despite being responsible for the deaths of thousands of people from the pandemic, the Orange Buffoon almost won the reelection. No the election wasn't as close as it was in 2016 with just seventy-something thousand votes in key swing states giving OB an electoral college win. But given the Buffoon's behavior and open misconduct, it should have been far more of a landslide for Biden than it was in reality.

So here goes my prediction for the new year. It's going to seem a lot like 2020 for several more months. After that who the Hell knows, although I'm not feeling any warm fuzzies.

4 comments:

MikeP said...

I'll throw caution to the wind and predict that 2021 will make the previous year look like a dress rehearsal where most of the cast didn't show up.
The feel sorry for Biden with what he's going to have to deal with, but I feel more sorry for the 85+ million sane Americans who voted for him, myself included of course. We're going to be called on to do some things soon that will test us in ways we thought we had all moved beyond. Take that any way you want.

I hope I'm wrong.

Jeff said...

You know, I was never excited about Biden, but I wanted Trump gone. He is bad for our morale and morals. Now, I think Biden may be the one person who has the experience to help navigate us through the massive wake left behind by the past four years and topped off by the pandemic.

The Bug said...

I have hope for the future because that's who I am as a person, HOWEVER, I think it will be a long time before things stop being a dumpster fire. And sadly, if it takes too long then I'll bet we'll reelect some heartless republican for president again.

Marja said...

Sorry to hear you where right. The world is a mess. There needs to be a lot changed before things get better. Biden has an enormous task as has the rest of the world Take care and Kia Kaha