Saturday, November 14, 2020

Nomad Feet: Botany Bay Plantation Heritage Preserve

Last Saturday, I escaped the suburban prison camp for a day trip down to the coast. When I left Columbia I didn't have a destination but halfway down to Charleston I decided to hit the Botany Bay Plantation Heritage Preserve. It was formed in the 1930's from the merger of Colonial-era Sea Cloud Plantation and Bleak Hall Plantation located on Edisto Island. The property went to the state in 1977 as a wildlife preserve and was opened to the public in 2008. The drive down was long, especially after arriving at the entrance. This picture is of the dirt road leading down to the beach area.
   

Once you arrive at the parking area, there is about a half-mile walk down to the beach. This causeway with the marsh on either side was beautiful. Another thing that made it paradise was the complete absence of human-made sound. The only thing I could hear was the sound of the surf, the rustle of the marsh and some birds. It was heaven, especially after what seemed to be countless months of political advertisement on the television. 

A section of the marsh. You can't see them but numerous hermit crabs were living out their lives in the mud.

First view of the beach. Unfortunately someone stepped into the frame. 

I arrived about an hour after the preserve opened and while I wasn't the first person there, the beach was mostly deserted. Being "undeveloped" the beach is littered with fallen trees.

I actually took a selfie where I was smiling but didn't include it because it would ruin my stern visage.

It was a beautiful day. The tide was near high tide and since this was my first visit, I didn't wander that far sense over concerns that I might get cut off by the incoming water.

All told, I was there about an hour and I was surprised how warm it got that morning.

As you might have noticed, there is a huge number of large shells on the beach. This is because of the $450 dollar fine if caught taking any off the beach. Instead, previous visitors seem to like to display them on some of the fallen trees. 

When I was a kid Pawleys Island had a similar number of shells on the beach. But that was way before it became such a well visited location. Tourists and resident kept taking home conch shells to the point it ruined the ecosystem. 

I took my time heading back to the car. More people began showing up and I didn't want my first impression ruined.

Could have sat at this spot for hours. When I do return I will bring a comfortable chair.

Another look at the marsh.

 

Tried to catch this conch shell against the ocean. The lighting was wrong so I didn't waste anymore effort. My camera isn't really the type for taking such difficult pictures. 

Final shot, another collection of shells bleaching in the sun. Botany Bay is one of the finest examples of South Carolina in its raw, unspoiled form. I usually don't speak highly of this state, but when it does things right you have to point it out. Wish I could saw the same about its politicians. Speaking of which, give them half a chance and they'll have this small piece of paradise carved up with condos on the beach and oil rigs drilling out in the water. 

8 comments:

The Armchair Squid said...

Wow, your vegetation is so different! I love those trees.

Commander Zaius said...

Armchair Squid: It was quite peaceful. After thinking about it, since the drive there was so long it will probably be a long time before I go back.

Jeff said...

Looks like familiar country. I have only been on Edisto once--I should go back again. Thanks for sharing.

http://fromarockyhillside.com

SpacerGuy said...

I could lose myself wandering out there in such an idyllic preservation listening to the sea and birds chilling out.

The Bug said...

That looks like my idea of heaven!

The Armchair Squid said...

I really miss traveling. Vermont is beautiful - genuinely drop-dead gorgeous for most of the year. But there's a sameness... Sadly, one has to leave every once in a while to appreciate it.

We especially miss our trips to Montreal.

KimberlypTownson said...

You will be able to access your lab test orders and results from PWNHealth through your WebMD account but WebMD will never receive your lab test results or your payment information. Coach Handbags Clearance Only PWNHealth New Yeezy Shoes will have access to this information. PWNHealth may disclose to WebMD certain personal information in the aggregate which does not identify you.

The Cheap Air Force Ones Results: "Immediately after the procedure, an ointment was applied to Michael Kors Outlet Online my brows, and even though they were darker and shiny looking, I loved it because they were so full and I could see all of the brow strokes," shared Suzie. Days following, in her day to day life, one of the biggest Cheap Jordan Shoes For Men differences is that the makeup artist doesn't have to worry about smudged brows when Coach Outlet Sale it's raining or when she's sweating. "When I do full Ray Ban Sunglasses Sale makeup, I barely need to fill in my brows life changing," she summed up.

GeraldinetMcMillanm said...

However her escape partner Allie bailed at the last minute, subbing in The Freak instead, for revenge purposes. Franky wanted her freedom to finally clear her name after being imprisoned for, frankly, BS reasons. We saw her briefly reunited Coach Outlet Sale with on the outside girlfriend Bridget (just for Fridget fans) but have we New Yeezy Shoes seen the last of Franky Doyle in Cheap Jordan Shoes For Men Wentworth? Nicole da Silva, who Michael Kors Outlet Online plays Franky, is now also starring Cheap Air Force Ones in Channel 9 Doctor Doctor.

Central Islip, NY November 9, 2018 Adelante of Suffolk County, Inc. (Adelante) is proud to announce that their Director, Pilar Delgado, received the Hispanic Heritage Award from Suffolk County Legislator Monica Martinez, at Coach Handbags Clearance Ray Ban Sunglasses Sale the Legislator Hispanic Heritage Month celebration. The celebration was held at the Central Islip Public Library in October.