Sunday, June 24, 2007

Going to have to head home soon.


Despite an excellent vacation to the Sunshine state, along with Dragonwife on average acting like a Homo Sapien (early type) these last few months I am feeling a strong urge to head down to the Lowcountry and home. My grandmother's passing caused the opening of summer party to be canceled and even now there is just no energy available by anyone in the family for such a rescheduled activity but I still need to recharge my soul with the sights, sounds, feel, and smells of the Lowcountry environment. The above picture is from the North Causeway of Pawleys Island at high tide, just a short distance from what use to be Pop's Grill. My best information has it that the latest incarnation of the old place has begun but they have not returned it to its proper condition.
Ideally, I would like to hit the North Island tour and walk untouched beaches along with seeing the North Island lighthouse. But Miss Wiggles and her, at times, problematic behavior makes that difficult since I don't like to hit anyone up to babysit her. North Island had been settled at one time with a rather large community in the late 19th century but a massive hurricane completely destroyed it with the island returning to nature except for the lighthouse. Many years ago, I was about six or seven, my dad and a group of other guys loaded up their various boats, made their way across Winyah Bay and set up a camp on the eastern side of the island facing the ocean. There were about five kids, along with myself, in the group and to this day I remember running around with them on the beach during the day and seeing the Milky Way for the first time those nights we laid sleeping bags on the beach and went to sleep staring into the heavens. Light pollution and development was far smaller back then and the stars visible were staggering. The closest I have come to seeing as many stars was my deployments to the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California while I was in the army. The houses and rapid development going around me now in my area blot out all but the brightest stars and planets. I've long since found out that how much I miss the stars and Spoilboy has never seen the Milky Way.

Darth Spoilboy is also wanting to do another visit to Fort Moultrie on Sullivan's Island, close to Charleston, and Patriots Point and walk through the USS Yorktown again. Fort Moultrie was the sight of a victory for American forces in the Revolution along with the place a bunch of Citadel shitheads opened fire on Fort Sumter starting the Civil War. When Spoilboy was five we made our first visit to the USS Yorktown permanently moored in Charleston Harbor. The time before that my grandfather took me when I was about 12 or 13 right after it opened up as a naval museum. It seems a good time to introduce Miss Wiggles further building a family tradition.

3 comments:

Vigilante said...

That's what I miss out here on the Left Wing Coast: no historical sites of interest.

Kentucky Rain said...

LOL Vigil!!!

Beach I thought of you this past week as I lounged on the beach of the Cabana Club in Ponte Vedra, just outside of St. Augustine, Fl. I really didn't want to come home, and neither did my dogs, both two legged and four legged:-)

Anonymous said...

Nice stuff...
thanks for sharing...


___________________
Melvin
Lock in your price today for Your favorite

channels - and keep it there until 2010!