Friday, November 4, 2011

Dona Nobis Pacem: My Hope

"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

All through history true soldiers that have seen the rage and senseless destruction of war know it is the ultimate expression of stupidity and waste which only breeds more fear and conflict. But it is an unfortunate, almost tragic, situation that many in the United States have come to associate soldiers, marines, and others who serve in the armed forces with a love of war.

These people live in some delusion world promoted by popular movies and television full of improbable action heroes with clever catchphrases and slick politicians reveling in some false and hollow glory of peace through superior firepower. The delusion being that the enemies of peace and justice can be defeated through the use of "shock and awe" tactics that will send them cowering into dark holes fearful of ever defying the crusading might of this era's current superpower.

Peace enforced at the end of a spear, sword, musket, or rifle depends on how long a soldier is willing to hold his weapon at the ready and his country is prepared to pay the bill in both blood and treasure. History is replete with dead empires who sought to spread their influence and civilization only to find that the cost of maintaining it was far too great.

Yes, there are those in the world even now who wish to conquer, dominate, and spread chaos at the expense of others, and we must stand ready to oppose those who believe the acquisition of power by any means or the killing of innocents is ever justified. But if a real peace on this planet is even remotely possible it must be realized that it will come through an understanding that every human being has an inalienable right to live their life in peace and have access to the things that make life possible.

I absolutely refuse to believe this is impossible despite the fact that most of human history is nothing but one bloody saga after another, we have not survived this long as a species only to fall victim to an ancient caveman mentality of fear and suspicion. In a way the people alive today have what can be considered both an honor or possible curse of seeing a world at peace. With seven billion people on the planet we can no longer live with by old ways that we have carried from the days when our ancestors roamed the planet in small hunter-gatherer groups living strictly off the environment.

We can either change our attitudes and ways and begin to show that we are an intelligent species by treating each other with the respect and dignity everyone deserves along with doing our best to curtail the ignorance and greed that threatens our world. The alternative of course is to continue our usual behavior with wars and destruction of the environment but that will lead only to a peace by extinction of us naked primates. Time is not on our side but in the end homo sapiens have the will and ability to survive programmed in their very DNA and while I have reasons to doubt it more times than not we are an intelligent species. Its damn time we start using the brains God or evolution gave us. I'm sure Darwin and God are looking down wondering what we will ultimately do.

(Author's note: Don't know what really got me in this mood but surf on over to Mimi's place for more of the same. Typos suck, still finding the damn things.)

18 comments:

lime said...

thanks for your post here. i'm glad you liked mine as well. i do hope you are correct in the possibility of peace but i fear....not a lot of evidence out there.

Sarge Charlie said...

the ike quote is right on, dream of peace in your lifetime

Durward Discussion said...

Great post. There was once a TV show called "Meeting of the Minds" that brought together actors portraying great thinkers conversing. Truly entertaining and I love imagining those types of interactions.

Akelamalu said...

Oh Bravo Beach! I'm so glad you joined in the Peace Movement. I hope you signed Mr Linky over at Mimi's so other Peace Bloggers can visit you.l x

Anndi said...

Einstein's quote is a favourite one of mine... excellent post!

Travis Cody said...

Whatever our individual beliefs, I'm sure we can all agree that peaceful co-existence is way better that the alternative.

Best wishes to you and yours for peace today and in all the days to come.

Windsmoke. said...

Charles Darwin got it absolutely correct with the Origin Of Species.
I believe that you and me are a Product of Evolution and not God. I also believe the bible and any other religious writings to be a work of fiction :-).

Mr. Charleston said...

It ain't war that's going to do us in BB. It's fornication.

Commander Zaius said...

Lime: Saw yours and Akelamalu's and felt moved enough to write one of my own up.

Sarge Charlie: Thanks for dropping by, got you on my blogroll.

Jamie: Thanks! I loved that show as well, I wish they would bring it back.

Akelamalu: Yeah, but it took me 15 minutes to figure Linky out.

Anndi: Einstein was the man!

Travis and Windsmoke: I apologize for what turned out to be a poor attempt at humor. After thinking about it I removed the questionable line.

Mr. Charleston: Well, we at least have the possibility of going out with huge grins.

Karen Jo said...

I agree with your post completely. Lets use our brains instead of our fists. Peace be with you today and every day.

Ranch Chimp said...

I havent commented on the last few read's, even though I indulged all, but Thanx for the posting's/ read's Bum!

Randal Graves said...

Oh, you young people are so idealistic.

Commander Zaius said...

Ranch: Sorry Ranch, its been busy and I am just getting around to commenting myself at my usual haunts.

Randal: What can I say, I was tired and I was drinking an early morning beer with my cornflakes.

okjimm said...

Nice write, buddy. I wish I could come up with something as nice.... but along with an ingrown toenail.... I seem to have an ingrown imagination.
Maybe I should see a doctor... or a bartender. Peace Out.

Pixel Peeper said...

In my mind, it makes total sense to mention God and Darwin in the same sentence. When I went to high school, it was the religion teacher who first taught us about evolution.

It wasn't until I got to this country that I learned it seems to be an "either/or" issue here.

Oh yeah, I do believe they are both looking down waiting to see what we end up doing.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Thanks for doing your part for peace. Keep shining!

Annelisa said...

You make some very good points BB...and I especially like the thought that evolution is either breeding the war out of us, or the peace into us :-D

[A link to your post will be on my blog 'Peace Bloggers Unite' soon]

Mimi Lenox said...

Oh, your peace post is stellar. Thank you so much for speaking and blogging peace with us.
You are most welcome here!

#2384 in the Official Peace Globe Gallery at blogblastforpeace.com

Dona nobis pacem,
Mimi