Sunday, November 8, 2020

Hoping for Better Days

 


Okay, yesterday was a great day! Pennsylvania finally turned blue, sending Biden over 270 electoral votes needed and mostly ending the nightmare we've been living with since November 2016. Yeah, President-elect Biden's inauguration isn't until January 20th but we've made it this far. I'm hoping the White House staff has enough backbone and sense to begin limiting the Orange Buffoon's power.

My hope and good humor has its limits though. We didn't take the senate and lost seats in the House. This probably means next to no major reforms or programs are going to be approved. That means no extra judges for the Supreme Court, nor bringing the Green New Deal to life.

There is already noise from the radical Progressives about “being left out to dry” by the mainstream Democrats. I agree with a lot of their ideas but getting them enacted is going to require a lot of time and work.

And even funnier, Mitt Romney was on NBC's Meet the Press this morning mouthing off about how this election proved most Americans are actually quite conservative. So in other words, they're going to be bitching about the federal deficit right after Biden takes the oath of office. Not a single word from them about the deficit the entire time OB is in office destroying the country and siding with our enemies. But with a President Biden in office all those roaches will be scurrying about on every news show and ranting about fiscal doom.

Still though, the tumor will be removed and maybe a President Biden will be able to build some political bridges. One can hope and dream for better, saner days.

7 comments:

The Armchair Squid said...

Electing Biden is a really good first step. But you're absolutely right. There's still a lot of work to do and it ain't gonna be easy.

Next question here in Vermont: does Bernie get the Secretary of Labor job? (My guess is no.)

sage said...

I don’t know I would agree that Americans are mostly conservative, but they are certainly not radical. I think most are fiscally conservative but Trump (and Bush2) are not fiscally conservative.

www.fromarockyhillside.com

Marja said...

First of all congratulations. Hope restored!! Indeed the task will be enormous but at least you are going forwards now.

The Bug said...

I've got hope & dread at the same time. Trump is definitely not done creating chaos, and the beast he birthed isn't going to go away. I'm afraid that all Biden will be able to do is get a handle on the virus & help people calm down. But I was also afraid that we wouldn't elect a black/Indian woman VP, so maybe my instincts are trash. I sure hope so!

Commander Zaius said...

Armchair Squid: Isn't your governor a Republican? Would he pick a Democrat to fill Bernie's seat?

Sage: Truthfully, I'm fiscally conservative but as much as I have forgiven W. Bush for a lot of things, he was never a fiscal hawk.

Marja: We're not quite out of the game yet. I'm now worried about the midterms.

The Bug: I love Kamala Harris, in fact she was my first choice for president. But there was a question as to whether she would drag down the ticket.

The Armchair Squid said...

Our governor, Phil Scott, is a Republican, though he's said that if Bernie gets the job, he would nominate someone who would caucus with the Democrats. It won't happen. And as much as I love Bernie, even I can admit that there are probably better people for the job.

Republicans here are... different. Scott is no Trump fan, publicly admitting that he voted for Biden. Scott has actually done a brilliant job managing COVID, too. I didn't go so far as to vote for Scott but I must acknowledge I respect him.

He's a responsible adult. The Reps could do a lot worse than choosing someone like him for a national ticket.

I'll put that another way: I can virtually guarantee they will do far worse in nominating their next national ticket.

Commander Zaius said...

Armchair Squid: Governor Scott sounds like a good guy! Can't say there are many like him left in the Republican party, and none here in South Carolina.