Tuesday, November 5, 2019

The Failed Experiment


 Warning, I'm in a deeply pessimistic mood.


For years a certain pompous individual on one of the cable news morning shows would occasionally expound on a quote attributed to the 19th century German Chancellor, Otto von Bismarck, that I found exceedingly naive in outlook. This pompous morning talking head, a former congressman suffering from his own mild form of delusions of grandeur, would bloviate on this quote whenever he wanted to suggest that the United States was immune to the internal and external factors that undermined most nations.

“God looks after fools, drunks, and the United States,” the morning talking head would say with a medium idiotic smile on his face visibly proud of what he considered to be his down home, country-lawyer cleverness. Okay, while he butchered the quote's true wording, I'll cut the doofus some slack on his use of modern language. But for anyone aware of history and how many nations and empires through the centuries assumed they had divine protection assuring their prosperity and even survival to even mention the quote in a serious way other than sarcasm is stupidity.

Of course, maybe the talking head was being equally sarcastic when he repeated the quote while staring into the camera and flirting with his married, female cohost, but it didn't seem that way. I wish the quote was true, but unfortunately events and circumstances suggest to me that not only are we majorly screwed right now, things will more than likely get very worse. Yes, I'm mostly talking about the slowly evolving Impeachment drama taking place in Washington DC.

For the majority of right-wing folks all the allegations against Trump are a scam perpetrated by Democrats and the media, both hostile to his declared MAGA agenda. A few bold right-wingers have come forward to say that while his Ukrainian actions are not okay, they don't rise to the level of Impeachable offenses. I can only imagine how their opinions would have flipped had President Obama called up some foreign leader before the 2012 election and told him to cough up harmful information on Mitt Romney. The answer to that flight of fancy is glaringly obvious.

For us lefties though I see ample evidence that many of my political comrades don't exactly have both feet grounded in reality. Given everything that's happened, it's a no-brainer that Trump will be Impeached by the Democratic-controlled House of Representatives. The whole spectrum of Democrat from moderate-centrist to ultra progressive have been gleefully dancing in the streets since the Ukraine-gate scandal broke open.

The problem here is that a good many Democrats seen to have forgotten that for Trump to be kicked out of office he has to be convicted of the Articles of Impeachment in the Republican-controlled United States Senate. That would require a large number of Republican senators developing a working conscious and spines. That is simply not going happen. To even consider the possibility shows such a huge lack of understanding of the Trump cult it is laughable.

So the most likely scenario is this, senate Republicans quickly acquit Trump of the charges with him proclaiming his innocence and the defeat of a soft coup. This will energize his base and bring back independents who soured on the entire process. Not to imitate the pompous talking head I mentioned earlier, but like Emerson said, “When you strike the king, you must kill him.” Going into the 2020 election, Trump could very well ride his impeachment victory into another term.

The Democrats come away from the affair blaming each other and second guessing their leadership. It's not hard to see the party demoralized and rudderless, unable to promote any type of vision with so much energy going to the impeachment. Throw in a credible third-party candidate siphoning off votes and a still growing economy and Trump could win the election even though his popularity has never peaked above fifty-percent. Yes, this scenario has a high probability of him taking the electoral college while losing the popular vote again.

To put it bluntly, I'm not feeling any warm fuzzies over the impeachment and the coming election. The Republican Party is now a cult while many Democrats are running around talking about the 2020 election being an “opportunity.” This only thing this election is about is the survival of the United States of America as a functioning democratic republic. Yes, we need major reforms but you can't remodel a rundown house when some of the occupants are pouring gasoline everywhere and lighting matches.

It doesn't matter to me who the eventual Democratic nominee will be, I'm voting for he or she no matter what. But that being said, I would be lying if I didn't also say that in my opinion some of the candidates are far more electable than others..

Contrary to the television talking head with a illogical fondness of a 19th century German politician's sarcastic quote, there is no divine protector looking over the United States. Numerous other nations and empires who believed they were on the right side of God soon found themselves swept away into history. Remember, the official state religion of the Roman Empire was Christianity for several decades before Rome fell and the western half of its territory descended into chaos.

To believe the United States somehow occupies a special place in God's eyes is the height of hubris, ignorance, and delusion. Personally, given my personality and nature I would be making plans to get the hell out of the country if I had the resources to pursue that goal. Yeah, I believe the situation is that bad. 

Despite my darkness, I would loved to be proved exceedingly wrong in my assessment.  

9 comments:

Marja said...

I can imagen how you feel Even here in NZ people get frustrated by the negative impact of your "leader" on the world.
We are lucky at the moment with our PM Kia kaha

The Bug said...

I've been having the same feelings as you do about impeachment. I think that Pelosi didn't really want to do it for those very reasons, but the Ukraine allegations forced her hand.

I hope to high heaven that both of us are wrong!

Ranch Chimp said...

Well, we had the Mueller report for a couple years, we now have the impeachment deal, no telling how long this will go on for, hopefully all not for his whole 4 year term and we end up with nothing, didn't get a damn thing so far. None of these SOB's even go to jail, no matter what they do, anywayz. I don't think much about Trump, ignore most of the media on him, unless it's just for a laugh, don't follow his tweets, pop- culture of the left or right, and frankly burned out on the rubbish. Trump and his following love all the trashing of Trump, gives them a reason to pump themselves up for 2020, and play the victim card, strengthens his following actually ... but what in Hell do I know, eh? I think the democrats may want to try to spend more time on a platform, and not just Trump. Nonetheless, I don't expect nothing much to change, and I alwayz figured it will get worse before it gets any better. I started voting in 1974, and we're still fighting for the same crap. Our politics in the trash can, our democracy (what's left of it), is already on the toilet seat and about to fall in. And all we have to support is a bunch of oligarchs, and extremely wealthy people, using "citizens united" SCOTUS ruling to buy us out of a voice and representation. Many of these that we worship, frankly could give a shit less about the people of this country.

Dave Dubya said...

Ranch Chimp's views are on point.

But cheer up! Enjoy what we have left while you can. We still have freedom of thought and speech. These are our last hope.

The downhill slide has been going on since 1980, when the slow Right Wing coup began in earnest.

Clinton proved to be more of a Republican than an FDR-Democrat. This was the tide turning.

American Democracy died in 2000, after a long terminal illness of Trickle Down Reaganism, corporate consolidation of power, and FOX(R) propaganda. The Far Right minority began to take over. In 2004 America reelected a war criminal. That's when I realized it would get worse before it could get better.

Obama proved to be a corporatist appeaser, while the Right denied his last Supreme Court nomination and scooped up most of the state governments. Rural White states have allowed a disproportionate minority control of the Senate. Gerrymandering gave the Republicans control of the House by a minority of voters as well. Reactionary nationalism has been on the rise since the Black Guy won the White House.

We have a Democratic House for now. This may slow the far Right coup for a bit, but it cannot hold. The Right, like Putin, have played the long game. Now they are united. The Left frets and stews on how to coordinate and consolidate voting blocks that often require a super majority to win.

All the while corporate media decry a Democratic Party that moves "too far Left". Note they never caution about the ever-Rightward drift of our government, despite Left leaning public sentiments. Our government is way to the Right of the people. It has been rigged to be that way.

The next generation better figure out how to play the long game. I don't think things will improve until we have a massive revolution of consciousness and conscience that overturns the entrenched corporate/far Right oligarchy. We've reached the precipice where unchecked authoritarianism can only result in eventual human extinction.

I think climate change will eventually wake us up, but will it be in time?

We need more Greta Thunbergs and fewer Jacob Wohls.


Robbie Payton said...

I rarely share my story with people, not only because it put me at the lowest point ever but because it made me a person of ridicule among family and friends. I put all I had into Binary Options ($690,000) after hearing great testimonies about this new investment

 strategy. I was made to believe my investment would triple, it started good and I got returns (not up to what I had invested). Gathered more and involved a couple family members, but I didn't know I was setting myself up for the kill, in less than no time all we had put ($820,000) was gone. It almost seem I had set them up, they came at me strong and hard. After searching and looking for how to make those scums pay back, I got introduced to maryshea03@gmail.com to WhatsApp her +15623847738.who helped recover about 80% of my lost funds within a month.

Bruce David said...

Hello everyone..Welcome to my free masterclass strategy where i teach experience and inexperience traders the secret behind a successful trade.And how to be profitable in trading I will also teach you how to make a profit of $12,000 USD weekly and how to get back all your lost funds feel free to email me on( brucedavid004@gmail.com ) or whataspp number is +22999290178  

Dare guld said...

thanks to Mrs. Maryshea who helped me recover all my lost funds in binary option including my profit, i was a big fool giving my hard earned money to greedy and scammed brokers, but am so happy i met Maryshea03 a honest woman who helped me recover all my lost funds including

 my profits , and she also gave me the right signal and platform to trade with, now am able to make $8000 weekly, and am very happy about that, that is why i cant stop testifying about him , if you are out there still experiencing failure trading in binary option, or you want to recover your lost funds trading in binary/forex trade i will advice you reach out to Mrs maryshea for help.... you an contact her via email on. maryshea03@gmail.com or whatsapp her on +15623847738, and am 100 percent sure you will be very glad you did.regards to you all.

Dare guld said...

thanks to Mrs. Maryshea who helped me recover all my lost funds in binary option including my profit, i was a big fool giving my hard earned money to greedy and scammed brokers, but am so happy i met Maryshea03 a honest woman who helped me recover all my lost funds including

 my profits , and she also gave me the right signal and platform to trade with, now am able to make $8000 weekly, and am very happy about that, that is why i cant stop testifying about him , if you are out there still experiencing failure trading in binary option, or you want to recover your lost funds trading in binary/forex trade i will advice you reach out to Mrs maryshea for help.... you an contact her via email on. maryshea03@gmail.com or whatsapp her on +15623847738, and am 100 percent sure you will be very glad you did.regards to you all.

Lord Mark said...

Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com