Monday, June 3, 2019

The Plastics You Don't See



Despite nearly three years of Trump occupying the White House and his accompanying assaults on human intelligence, dignity, and compassion, I still harbor some hope for our nation and species in general. Call me naive or simply a stupid wide-eyed fool, but having been raised on Gene Roddenberry's vision –Star Trek – I like the idea of a matured and rational humanity taking responsibility for our past actions and working to correct them. However, the scope of that task, even now, makes me have my doubts.

One example of humans trying to do the right thing is how many of us come together across the globe to cleanup beaches, namely to collect and properly dispose of used plastics. Unfortunately, even though the organization Ocean Conservancy has organized efforts that resulted in over 300 million pounds of plastics being removed, it truly is just the tip of the iceberg. See while beach cleanups are worthy efforts studying the effects of plastics that have washed ashore on remote islands shows we have a more difficult problem.

Most plastics no not decay into components parts like organic materials. Ultraviolet light from the sun and wave action does eventually cause plastics to breakdown, but just into smaller pieces that accumulate in sand on beaches or stay in the ocean. Yeah, that's still a huge problem with major repercussions for all lifeforms. The accumulation of these tiny pieces, called microplastics, makes it easier for water to flow through beach sand changing the rate it dries out. This changes the temperature of the sand which directly affects the incubation period for sea turtle eggs. Colder temperatures of turtle nests directly alters the sex ratio of these animals throwing a monkey wrench into breeding cycles.

While most people couldn't give a rip about an imbalance in the number of male and female sea turtles, given the complex and connected nature of marine ecosystems changing the chemistry of that community will most likely have further damaging repercussions. Ones that will most certainly affect human health and the overall food chain.

To get a further idea on the effects of microplastics, scientists traveled to remote islands free of large numbers of humans to study how it accumulates. The Cocos Island group, a chain of 27 small atolls is often advertised as Australia's unspoiled paradise. These researchers took samples of beach trash from twenty-five beaches from seven islands collecting organic and plastic waste that had washed ashore. Based on sampling, they estimated that string of islands contained 414 million pieces of waste weighing 238 tons with microplastics making 93 percent of that amount.

Still you might be wondering what does a trashy beach mean to me? And if these tiny plastics continue to breakdown does that mean they will become too small too matter? Besides simply decency and respect for the environment, keeping a clean beach means coastal areas can continue to draw tourists and make money for the businesses located there. For those who chiefly worry about such things, like irate a-holes who whine about their tax dollars and people on welfare that should be enough. The trouble though is that all ecosystems are connected and if you abuse and destroy just one facet of the environment enough the others will eventually feel the effects.

For those who slept through high school biology that not only means the livelihood of millions of people but ultimately the health of us all.

Read National Geographic's:

  

A new study reveals the dirty secret of beach cleanups: Much of a given beach’s plastic is tiny and buried.

10 comments:

Harry Hamid said...

Our trash makes it everywhere - even the very deepest part of the ocean. But the suggestion that we give up even a tiny bit of our consumer comfort gets an incredibly negative reaction. I'm not sure that even our most radical environmental ideas can fix things in time. I'll probably be long gone when the worst of it comes along. But what a tragedy.

sage said...

We need to only allow the use of plastics that can be easily recycled. And to encourage the use of better materials to replace the plastic. It’s amazing how it has covered the oceans with a pollutant that didn’t even exist 100 years ago.

www.thepulpitandthepen.com

Marja said...

That's a coincidence. The prompt for a poem this week was plastic bag. I love your post but it is such a tragedy and enormous problem. I agree with Harry. I put a link to your post on my blogpost.

Vagabonde said...

I came over from Marja’s blog. My husband was an environmentalist by profession and from San Francisco in the 1960s when he started his career until its end in Georgia a couple of years ago we followed all the harm that had been done to ecosystems, air, water, etc. and he constantly battled with bureaucracy. He was very pessimistic and I agree. I think people are apathetic, really don’t care, or like in the south they say “God will take care of it” !! It people in the US cared more they would demonstrate against Trump’s anti-environment measures: he has removed obstacles on offshore drilling and natural parks, repealed the Obama plan to reduce gas emission, withdrew the US from the COP21, appointed many climate-skeptical magistrates, dropped drastically the funds allocated to the EPA, while appointing key positions to administrators closely linked to the fossil industries and I could go on and on. Why are people not outraged? I guess they are too busy on their cell phones? or watching sports on TV?

The Bug said...

It really is so depressing. And I look at the tiny things that I try to do & see so much more that I could do - and yet it feels so hopeless.

R's Rue said...

Great post.
www.rsrue.blogspot.com

Pixel Peeper said...

This plastic thing really scares me - humans have used it for such a short time, and it has done irreversible damage to our oceans.

Robbie Payton said...

Hi everyone, Are you into trading or just wish to give it a try, please becareful on the platform you choose to invest on and the manager you choose to manage your account because that’s where failure starts from be wise. After reading so much comment i had to give trading tips a try, I have to come to the conclusion that binary options pays massively but the masses has refused to show us the right way to earn That’s why I have to give trading tips the accolades because they have been so helpful to traders . For a free masterclass strategy kindly contact maryshea03@gmail.com for a free masterclass strategy. She'll give you a free tutors on how you can earn and recover your losses in trading for free..

SoeAir said...

Nice post, we need to reduce plastic used. Next need alternative ane use organic. We need save the earth...
by: Shan.

Robbie Payton said...

I rarely share my story with people, not only because it put me at the lowest point ever but because it made me a person of ridicule among family and friends. I put all I had into Binary Options ($690,000) after hearing great testimonies about this new investment

 strategy. I was made to believe my investment would triple, it started good and I got returns (not up to what I had invested). Gathered more and involved a couple family members, but I didn't know I was setting myself up for the kill, in less than no time all we had put ($820,000) was gone. It almost seem I had set them up, they came at me strong and hard. After searching and looking for how to make those scums pay back, I got introduced to maryshea03@gmail.com to WhatsApp her +15623847738.who helped recover about 80% of my lost funds within a month.