Thursday, October 6, 2011

Technical Difficulties

Once upon a time, just last Saturday morning actually, this delusional social critic and half-assed story teller sat down at the kitchen table with his laptop and was typing out a pretty good story. It was going to involve yet another heroic loser living abroad in Belize, a beautiful but confused red-head, a jealous scarlet macaw, and a twenty-four hour marriage chapel made up like Elvis' Graceland whose minister is an ex-mafia type hiding from former employers, the FBI, and MI6. Unfortunately, last Saturday morning was such a beautiful day Dragonwife got up wanting to do yard work, after all the effort and gnashing of teeth by me when it was over I was lying on the living room floor after pulling something in my back. Long story short, As I was cutting down dead limbs from one of our trees it fell in a zig fashion while I twisted around in a zag manner. As I returned to writing my story later that afternoon the pain whenever I sat down in a chair ranged about a 230,120,516.21 on a scale of zero to ten.

After a couple of doctor visits and even a seriously awesome massage by a red-headed lady who could be the female lead in my story I can finally sit down and concentrate long enough to string more than two sentences together. As for my story, just because I am stubborn I plan on posting it when I am done even though the Friday Flash Fiction topic has passed. All things being equal, this past week just confirms my belief that yard work sucks and that I need to live faraway from any suburban setting where such activities are eventually unavoidable if not outright mandatory.

13 comments:

Lowandslow said...

I've been yard-work free for 2 1/2 years now. I heartily recommend it. Bummer about your back, Bum. Get well soon...the weekend is nearly upon us. ;)

S

Cloudia said...

posture really helps me with the back thang!


Warm Aloha from Honolulu;

Comfort Spiral



(*)>
/ )
/"



> < } } ( ° >

Windsmoke. said...

Get well soon, i'll be looking forward to your story :-).

Nance said...

I'm dying to read that story. We must make sacrifices to our art! My advice: ice.

Glen said...

Then i shall make an extra effort to read it

Randal Graves said...

Glad to hear that you're no longer in the physical pain equivalent of an eternity of C-Span, but the question we all have is, would you go through it all over again for saucy redhead massage?

Unknown said...

That sucks, yard work has fallen to number 320 on my list of things to do on a weekend. That's if there's a kid here to do it, otherwise 592. Hope you're feeling better soon and I'm looking forward to that story.

SueH said...

I followed your lead - twisting to pick up a laptop bag I managed to pull a muscle in my back this morning :-(
Luckily, it was the last day of our mini-break to the south coast, so our planned trip round the Royal Pavilion at Brighton has been put on hold for the time being!

I can sympathise with you - but we then had a 3-hour drive home - agony is just one of the 'kinder' words I could use to describe our trip.....

lime said...

oh man, that is seriously sucktastic. so sorry to hear it but glad your pain is improving. a rotten back has me contractually exempted from yardwork. maybe you can use this to your advantage...

Ranch Chimp said...

Hey Bum ... Thanx for the music vid, never heard it, nice lyrical arrangement/ story though. As far as the back issue, that should tell ya to stay away from the yardwork for awhile, especially when you lady love's doing it, let her ... heh, heh, heh, heh, heh ... tell her in exchange you'll change the oil and other stuff ... but at least Bud, you did get that lil ole redhead massage out of it.

I thought I seen Lowandslow at the checkout at a Kroger store up in Plano or Frisco area of far north Dallas a week or more ago on a weekend, if it was him, he's a tall dude, not sure if it was him, but it looked like him, I was in a hurry.

Ranch Chimp said...

BTW, I never have any problemo with your comment deal ... it seem's to take my coment's quick and fine, I have had many problemo's on some blog's, where it just keep's telling me to sign in again and again, again, etc ... Leslie Parsley's for instance worked okay for awhile, then I couldnt seem to get anything to work and a few other's, so it's scattered, and I cant even leave message's to tell some of these folk's to begin with. Had a couple new blog's too that wouldnt take them, so I dont know what in Hell is up(?)

Later Dude, have a good un ....

Pixel Peeper said...

Back pain is the pits. Ibuprofen, chiropractor, massage, stretching exercises, ice, heat, rest, movement...it's all good. The only thing that really killed mine the last time I had it was those wonderful prescription muscle relaxers.

Glad you're getting better. Avoid yard work like the plague!

Full-On-Forward said...

Heal!!! Good boy. Now ST! If you can. I can no longer do yard work much at all, and I can honestly say- I don't miss it at all. I used to LOVE that feeling of accomplishment. Now--It's a pain in the... 2,225,623,326.21/10!

You are a riot Bro!!!

Appreciate you so much! and I do hope you feel better--Back pain affects "every move you make?" Were you singing that tune?

LOL

J